- Texas has 247,500 farms and ranches covering 130 million acres, both #1 in the nation.
- Approximately 12% of Texas’s population resides in rural areas.
- One out of every seven working Texans (14%) is in an agricultural related job.
- 98.5% of Texas farms and ranches are family farms, partnerships or family-held corporations.
- The average age of Texas farmers and ranchers is 59 years.
Texas is #1 in the nation in:
The top five crops raised in Texas are:
- Greenhouse and Nursery
Did You Know…
- Texas is the #1 cattle producing state in the country, with a total of 13.8 million cattle and calves, more than twice as many as the next largest producer.
- Each year over 5 million calves are born on over 130,000 beef cattle operations in Texas.
- Beef cattle production represents the largest single segment of agriculture in Texas and the United States.
- Agriculture is the second largest industry in the state, generating 80 billion for the economy annually.
Sources: Texas Farm Bureau via txfb.org